Rev. Michael Keane, Rev. Nelson Couto, Debi Braddick, Andy Mulhall Jr., Louise Bartoli, Jacqueline Anfiteatro, Cheryl Comitto, Digna Coronel, Jeanne-Marie Gagnon, Deacon Al Mazza, Regina O’Leary, Rosemarie Raffa, Karen Thornton, Dave Tuttle
Members Excused: Frank Burrows, Tom Condon, Tom Faranda
Members Absent: Richard Corvinus, Tope Onasany-Aboyadé-Cole, Adam Rodriguez
Helen Mazza, Eve Steier (Music Director), Brendan Gaffney (God Squad), Annika Van Ells (God Squad), Mike Lavery (Vicariate Ministry)
Call to Order & Opening Prayer
Debi Braddick, Parish Council President, called the meeting to order at 7:30 PM. Fr. Mike led the Council in the opening prayer.
Approval of Minutes
On a motion by Jacqueline Anfiteatro, seconded by Andy Mulhall Jr., the Minutes of the December 13, 2010 meeting were approved.
There was a brief discussion on the services of the Archdiocese. Information from Thomas Thimons, Regional Director, Stewardship Appeal Office was sent to Cheryl and copies were distributed to the PC members at this January PC meeting. This document included Condensed Balance Sheets and Statements of Activities of the Archdiocese. There are still more questions on this. More information to follow.
Annual Christmas Mailing to Parishioners
The Post Office was remiss in getting this mailing out on time to the parishioners. Many did not receive the mailing which contained Fr. Mike’s letter and the Christmas envelopes until way after Christmas.
Comparison of 2009 – 2010 Christmas Collections:
Budgeted Actual Received Mass Attendance
2009 - $48,000 $41,449.01 1316
2010 - $43,000 $43,428.21 1622
Whether or not to stop the 2011 mailings and instead insert the information into the Weekly Bulletin were discussed. There are currently 1300 mailings. Only 650 attended Mass. More families are reached through the mailings. Consensus of the Parish Council was to continue these mailings. They should be sent out earlier than it has been done in the past and should include the respective calendars (Lent/Easter – Advent/Christmas). We will see what happens with the upcoming Easter mailing.
Brendan Gaffney and Annika Vonells gave an update on the God Squad activities:
• New members have enrolled.
• Habitat for Humanity is one of their new projects.
• Fundraiser for Pencils of Promise
• Badminton Tournament
• CYO AWEF Benefit Concession Sale
• Another Teen Mass is being scheduled
• God Squad Welcomers at Masses
• Appalachian Mission this summer
• Catholic Underground NYC
• Continue serving Jan Peek residents
• Continue Midnight Runs
They also have a group page on Facebook to help the God Squad communicate with each God Squad member.
Mike Lavery gave an update. Last meeting was November 2010.
• Schools at risk to close and how the closings impact HNM parish. Regionalization of Catholic Education is the next step. This will create regional school districts.
• Pastoral Planning – preparing for the initial closing and consolidation of parishes. This should take about three years to complete.
Mike Lavery, Debi Braddick, Regina O’Leary represented HNM Parish at the Archdiocese meeting: “Making All Things New Archdiocese of New York.” Planning the future of parish life – rollout at HNM and mass survey was discussed. There is an upcoming survey for
parishioners consisting of 17 questions. Parishioners will be asked to give their opinion to Archbishop Dolan of what they think about their parish’s vitality and vibrancy. This process has been created for strategic parish planning for all parishes in the New York Archdiocese. A few of the questions were presented to the Council.
• Step One will be talk-up from the pulpit of this survey.
• Step Two will be gathering and collating the information.
• Step Three will be getting back to the Archdiocese by the end of February.
Debi Braddick, Regina O’Leary and Mike Lavery will be speaking at all Masses on
February 12th & 13th; hand out and then collect the survey.
Fr. Mike gave an overview of the statistics:
• 370 Parishes in 2011 is down from 391
• current number of diocesan priests (650)
• active priests (456)
• senior priests – over 75 years old (53)
• international priests (346)
• seminarians (21)
• retired priests (139)
• deacons (281)
It was also indicated that Baptisms were down 26%, Marriages down 36%, Funerals down 20% and Mass Attendance (19%).
Regina O’Leary reviewed the survey of the parents of Religious Ed grades 1, 2 & 3 Mass Survey. Regina reviewed what this survey entailed. Consensus was that by combining the religious education session and then attending mass afterwards was too long a time-frame (9AM to 12 noon)
Year of the Mass
This is the Year of the Mass. Fr. Mike discussed the change in trends. The goal is to bring people back to the Church. Attending Mass is to be encouraged. Three banners will be ordered for the Church and Chapel. A new missal is being published and scheduled to be out by Advent. This discussion will be put on future PC Agenda.
Parish Administrative Update
Cheryl Comitto distributed an updated January Parish Administration Report. Additional information had been added to the report previously e-mailed to Council members.
• Ministries are encouraged to use the Weekly Bulletin to advertise events and brag about their achievements. Too much bulletin space is currently being used on community and other Parishes events.
• New HMN Christmas Cards with the Church’s picture will be ordered and ready for sale this Christmas Season. Quantity to order is being reviewed. Any thoughts or suggestions should be e-mailed to Cheryl.
Old Business / Updates / Discussions
Fr. Nelson reported on some of the Ministry meetings he has attended:
• Some of these ministries included RCIA, CCD, Baptism, God Squad. He has not yet met with the Bereavement Ministry.
• Fr. Nelson also made reference to various job requirements of Religious Ed Teachers and their lack of attendance at Mass and also referenced some God Squad issues. These fall under Human Resources and not Parish Council. Both have been referred to Fr. Mike to handle as part of H.R.
• The Sick/Homebound Committee has voiced interest in starting a Prayer Shawl Group. Something will be put in the Weekly Bulletin on this.
• The First Friday half-hour adoration was not well attended due to the snow storm.
Eve Steier, Music Director, gave an update on upcoming events:
• Another Fundraiser Coffee House / “Adults Night Out” for the Music Ministry is being planned for Saturday, April 16, 2011.
They are planning another Fundraiser also scheduled on Saturday, March 26, 2011.
Rosemarie Raffa acknowledged Hallie Wolfe and her group of volunteers on the decorating of the Church for the Christmas Season.
Digna Coronel informed that this Ministry is not doing much right now. They are focusing on the Rosary Prayer Group and Bible Study.
Parish Participation None
Move to Adjourn & Closing Prayer
The closing prayer was led by Deacon Al Mazza and the meeting adjourned at 9:15 PM.
Deacon Al Mazza offered to do the Opening Prayer at the next PC Meeting.
Next Meeting Date: Monday, February 28, 2011 - 7:30 PM
Parish Council Secretary