Holy Name of Mary is a Roman Catholic community of believers who are dedicated to know Christ and become Christ, each one, for the sake of all. As disciples, we are called to create an environment where God is worshiped and where we serve our neighbor.
|Our church is located right on Grand Street in Croton-on-Hudson. It underwent a big renovation during the winter of 2008/2009 and is now more beautiful than ever. The outside has been water-sealed and the inside received all new paint with gold trim, new carpet, the pews have been re-varnished, and the altar area has a new hardwood floor. The area behind the altar has been opened up to give a larger, more spacious feeling and the pews have been rearranged to allow better seating. The look is bright and beautiful.|
Directly to the church's left is this beautiful little garden area.
Immediately to the left of that is our Parish Center.
And finally, on the right side of the church, is our rectory.
A History of Holy Name of Mary parish…
The Catholics attending Mass from ‘Croton Landing’ had to walk over five miles to St. Patrick’s in Verplanck until 1850, then they walked three miles to St. Augustine’s in Ossining. From 1850 to 1874, priests from Ossining would celebrate Mass weekly in the Edward White residence on Mt. Airy Road and then later on Riverside Avenue when more space was needed. The first Church was built in 1868 by Reverend William McClennan, the pastor in Ossining.
In 1895, a rectory was purchased on Grand Street, formerly the John Sharpe residence. In 1898, Rev. John J. Owens, pastor of St. Augustine’s Church, erected the parish Church on Grand Street. The cornerstone was dated July 10, 1898. The old Church (on Church Street) was sold by Father Owens to a Kelly family for $1,000. Mr. Milano acquired it late in 1934 from the Kelly family children. The Coleman family, builders of the Dam, donated the resources for the second Church (and also the Chapel at Croton Dam). The first Mass was celebrated at Christmas 1898 at 8:00 AM and the Church was formally dedicated on April 30, 1899 by Archbishop Corrigan. The Rt. Rev. Monsignor John J. Keane, of St James Church in lower NY, was preacher that day.
► The first marriage in the Parish was on December 2, 1877 when Charles Niedohl married Catherine Connor. The first pastor, Father McGovern, assisted at the ceremony.
►The first Baptism was on July 22, 1877 for the baby of parents Andrew and Eliza Quinn, performed by Father Mc Govern.
►From 1879 to 1952, there were 1,807 confirmations celebrated by 8 various Cardinals, Archbishops and Bishops.
►There were 208 graduates of the school from 1933 to 1954.
►There were 683 Marriages from 1877 to 1954.
►There were 3,313 Baptisms from 1877 to 1954.
►From 1893 to 1954, there were 1,463 First Holy Communions.
►Weekly masses in 1924 were held at 8AM & 10AM.